groovy-users mailing list archives

From Suderman Keith <suder...@anc.org>
Subject Re: .with() variant that returns the original object
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2016 15:57:02 GMT
+1 for withThis

withThis{} indicates it is just another form of the .with{} method that returns this, that
seems the most logical and consistent name.  The name `tap` strikes me as non-sensical; what
does doing something "with" an object have to do with tapping a beer keg or wire tapping a
phone line?

My two cents.
Keith

> On Nov 8, 2016, at 10:20 AM, Winnebeck, Jason <Jason.Winnebeck@windstream.com>
wrote:

> Normally, I'd say that we should use Java as first inspiration and all other popular
JVM languages (including Kotlin) as second inspiration, because it's really nice as a JVM-ecosystem
developer to have a common set of terminology and methods. However, I agree with Paul's analysis.
The meaning of "apply" conflicts with Java's Function.apply as well as apply from JavaScript
world (I don't know if others agree but I think of Groovy in a similar mindset to JS). The
closest Java signature is Function.identity, but identity is already used in Groovy and most
think of identity function as "doing nothing".

> Therefore, my vote is for tap. When I see tap it makes sense to me. It makes me think
of the Unix "tee" shell command that does the same thing by sending the object to another
command and returning the same output unmodified. The usage of tap here is also consistent
with network terminology (a network tap), and real-world usage (such as "tapping" a water
pipe). A tap observes the input without changing it and allowing it to pass unimpeded, unlike
a filter or a function.

> Jason

release process that is going to dramatically improve our ability to release early/release
often but also comply with some additional Apache requirements that we follow these days.
> But more on that another time.
>
> One outstanding feature request targeted for potential inclusion in
> 2.5 is an alternative to .with{} that automatically returns the original object after
executing the closure - recall that .with{} returns the last evaluated expression. The proposal
is here:

> https://github.com/apache/groovy/pull/174/files
>
> We can't use the old name since that would break backward compatibility and is of utility
in its current form in any case, so we are looking for a new name for the proposed method.
If you look at the PR you will see it has been called 'tap' and 'doto' and numerous other
names have been suggested. We regard naming as very important and normally we'd have very
strong views about suitable names based on functionality and similar method names within the
Groovy codebase. But in this instance, an obvious name hasn't popped out at us, so we are
requesting feedback from the community about what names make most sense to you.

> Firstly, here is what the method does. I'll use 'tap' in these examples since that is
what the PR currently uses but we can easily change that based on feedback.

> myObject.tap {
>    // some code
> }
>
> is equivalent to:
>
> myObject.with {
>    // some code
>    return this
> }
>
> Returning the 'self' object lends itself to various kinds of chaining, e.g.
>
> assert [:].tap {
>    a = 1
> }.tap {
>    b = 2
> } == [a:1, b:2]
>
> Or this one (adapted from a blog post[1] - and assuming you have a config.properties
file containing answer=42 as one of the properties):

> assert new Properties().tap {
>    new FileInputStream('config.properties').withCloseable {
>        load(it)
>    }
> }.answer == '42'
>
> Here are some of the names that have been suggested with some commentary:
>
> doto    Used by Clojure. Not camel case as per normal convention
> (though we have upto and downto which also break that convention) and it isn't immediately
obvious which is which between with and doto just from the names

> tap    Comes from Ruby and a previous Groovy extension outside core
> exists; meant to conjure up the idea of tapping into an object
>
> autoWith    Same as with but automatically returns self
>
> doWith   Again, hard to distinguish between doWith and with from the
> names themselves
>
> tee    An alternative name for tap
>
> auto    A shortened version of 'autoWith'
>
> apply    same as Kotlin which has copied Groovy's with but suffers
> from the downside that apply is already heavily overleaded in other contexts, e.g. functional
programming

> withThis    Distinction with normal with a bit subtle perhaps
>
> asThis    Ditto
>
> within    Ditto
>
> I'll also point out the 'identity' is currently an alias for 'with', in case that provides
any additional inspiration.

> Perhaps you dis/like one of the above or have some other suggestions.
> Let us know.
>

> Cheers, Paul.
>

> [1] http://beust.com/weblog/2015/10/30/exploring-the-kotlin-standard-library/
>
> This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
original message and any attachments.