groovy-users mailing list archives

From Suderman Keith <suder...@anc.org>
Subject Re: Groovy kernel for Jupyter Notebook
Date Sun, 18 Sep 2016 02:07:23 GMT
After a longer than anticipated delay (lots of fires to put out at work) I finally have a working
"proof-of-concept" Jupyter kernel for Groovy that is (marginally) worth sharing.  The code
is available from https://github.com/lappsgrid-incubator/jupyter-groovy-kernel under the Apache
2.0 license.

QUICKSTART (from source)

$> git clone https://github.com/lappsgrid-incubator/jupyter-groovy-kernel.git
$> cd jupyter-groovy-kernel
$> mvn package
$> mkdir /directory/to/store/kernels
$> ./install.sh /directory/to/store/kernels
$> jupyter notebook

QUICKSTART (pre-compiled binaries)

$> mkdir /directory/to/store/kernels
$> wget http://www.lappsgrid.org/downloads/jupyter-groovy-kernel-1.0.0.tgz
$> tar xzf jupyter-groovy-kernel-1.0.0.tgz
$> cd jupyter-groovy-kernel-1.0.0
$> ./install.sh /directory/to/store/kernels
$> jupyter notebook

TODO

1. I would like to streamline the installation.  Currently the install.sh script copies the
jar file to a directory and then patches the kernel.json file to use the full path to the
jar file before calling `jupyter kernelspec install`.  I can't help but think there has to
be a better way.
2. While the kernel listens on all the ZMQ sockets, the stdin and history sockets are pretty
much ignored.  The completion socket handler is a hack at best.
3. Provide a dockerized version of Juptyer with the Groovy kernel preinstalled.  I have this
for our Groovy DSL (see below) so it shouldn't be difficult to do.

There is also an example of using the jupyter-groovy-kernel as the base for a Groovy DSL Jupyter
kernel.  See https://github.com/lappsgrid-incubator/jupyter-lsd-kernel for more information.

Feedback and comments are welcome.

Enjoy!
Keith