groovy-users mailing list archives

From Scott Arnold <sca7...@bjc.org>
Subject RE: Non-Null Object Is Null
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2016 16:33:49 GMT
Good news.  I finally figured this out (mostly).  It was an issue with dirty compiled code.
 I am using Groovy Grails Tool Suite (GGTS).  It compiles the application artifacts into two
folders, a "target" folder and a "target-eclipse" folder.  I completely deleted both of these
folders, did a project clean, a Grails refresh dependencies, and on the next application start
the code was working as expected.

This was incredibly bizarre and I apologize that it seems to have been more of an IDE problem
rather than a Groovy problem.  I guess the moral of the story is that if you use GGTS and
suddenly something is acting totally off the wall wacko, try cleaning everything, including
deleting all the target folders.

Thank you everyone who took a look at this.

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Arnold [mailto:sca7740@bjc.org]
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 11:20 AM
To: users@groovy.apache.org
Subject: RE: Non-Null Object Is Null

I decided to experiment a little with immediately after instantiation.  Here is what that
looked like:

ICF icf = new ICF();
System.out.println("icf is " + icf);
System.out.println("is it null?  " + (icf == null));

And the output...

icf is null
is it null?  false

NullPointerException continues to happen if I try to call icf.getClass() at any point.

Could this have something to do with the code being inside a Groovy-ish loop?  The surrounding
code has this:

def result = client.search(tsr)  // web service call
for (e in result.entries) {
	ICF icf = new ICF();
	System.out.println("icf is " + icf);
	System.out.println("is it null?  " + (icf == null));
	// ... more code
}

An additional note -- the earlier capital "N" on null is not occurring -- I think it was an
accidental auto-correct in my original message.  It just prints "null" with lower-case "n".