On 06/21/2016 08:08 PM, Winnebeck, Jason wrote:

I would say that if you use the config script, then it would mean you’d want to use @CompileDynamic on every class where you don’t want static. It’s a default. I would think once you start adding logic into a compiler config script like that you’ll get into trouble with users being confused.

I’m going to say something a little radical: if you want to use static compilation all the time, you may want to consider Kotlin, which is 1.0 now and similar to Groovy but is static compiled all the time. No offense to Jochen and other’s amazing work that I think brought new life to Groovy (I’d probably not be using it all were it not for CompileStatic), I’ve encountered a handful of compiler bugs unfortunately and still do from time to time, enough that I’ve learned how to read Java bytecode. I still like the language features of Groovy better and I haven’t found any solution other than dynamic Groovy to reasonably process web services/documents though, so I still like Groovy better until it’s possible to combine Kotlin+Groovy or Kotlin adds dynamic features. If you do use Groovy static compile then make sure definitely to go with the latest 2.4.7.

Exactly my point. I do not want to switch to Kotlin or Scala because you would have to learn a new language. Groovy's power is that it is so similar to Java "yet as powerful".

If groovy were to make a compilestatic jar file, then it will be more attractive to many requiring and liking a statically typed language.

This is the weakest point of groovy right now, and it would win the last argument and become a choice for those choosing a statically typed JVM language, yet can go into dynamic mode on demand.

Jason

From: Mario Garcia [mailto:mario.ggar@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 1:03 PM
To: users@groovy.apache.org
Subject: Re: Is it possible to enable CompileStatic for an entire project

If I'm not wrong, projects like Spock doesn't like @CompileStatic so in case I would like to statically compile my project, at least I should be telling the compiler not to compile statically my specifications. Something like:

withConfig(configuration) {

    source(unitValidator: { unit -> !unit.AST.classes.any { it.name.endsWith('Spec') } }) {

        ast(CompileStatic)

    }

}

my two cents

Mario

A strong -1 for both options. We already have 2 variants of Groovy today, indy and non indy, and in practice *nobody uses the invokedynamic version* because it's impractical to use. Typically projects depend on `groovy.jar` or `groovy-all.jar`, not their invokedynamic version. Adding a new dimension, which is orthogonal to invokedynamic makes it even more complicated. Don't forget that the Groovy compiler is also mixed in its runtime (which is a problem of its own). We should solve that first.

Second, IDEs need to know whether a file is statically compiled or not. The `@CompileStatic` annotation makes it very clear, and the default is the standard dynamic mode that has been in Groovy for more than 10 years. IDEs know about it, and it's simple to infer. Any alternative solution, like the config script, or an alternate compiler (!) makes it impossible for the IDE to guess. The only IDE-pragmatic solution is to have a distinct file extension for statically compiled Groovy files (say, .sgroovy instead of .groovy). So far this has been ruled out, but I think it's the most pragmatic, and IDE friendly, solution.