groovy-users mailing list archives

From Schalk Cronjé <ysb...@gmail.com>
Subject For-loop vs each.
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2016 15:50:26 GMT
This questions is NOT about style, for if it was I would settle for
using 'each' all the time. Np, this time I'm coming from a different
angle. I am investigating backwards compatibility of Gradle plugins
written in Groovy.

With Gradle 2.8, the embedded version of Groovy is 2.4.4, whereas with
earlier 2.x versions it is a Groovy 2.3.x version. This leads to an
'interesting' situation where one might compile a Gradle plugin using
Gradle 2.13 and then try to run it with say Gradle 2.1. Let's start with
an example first.

Normally one might do the following:

    void method(Set<String> collection)  {

        collection.each { println it }

    }

However if that is compiled with Groovy 2.4.x and then run with Groovy
2.3.x it will fail with NoSuchMethodError. This is usually due to
GROOVY-6863. Most people will never see this as they will not usually go
backwards. However in the Gradle situation this is real concern. So far
in all cases that  I have seen I can work around the problem by writing

    void method(Set<String> collection)  {

        for( String it in collection)  { println it }

    }

This brings me to the question, whether there is any performance problem
here or is this a fine solution?

--
Schalk W. Cronjé
Twitter / Ello / Toeter : @ysb33r