groovy-users mailing list archives

From "Winnebeck, Jason" <Jason.Winneb...@windstream.com>
Subject RE: Is it possible to enable CompileStatic for an entire project
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2016 18:08:33 GMT
I would say that if you use the config script, then it would mean you’d want to use @CompileDynamic
on every class where you don’t want static. It’s a default. I would think once you start
adding logic into a compiler config script like that you’ll get into trouble with users
being confused.

I’m going to say something a little radical: if you want to use static compilation all the
time, you may want to consider Kotlin, which is 1.0 now and similar to Groovy but is static
compiled all the time. No offense to Jochen and other’s amazing work that I think brought
new life to Groovy (I’d probably not be using it all were it not for CompileStatic), I’ve
encountered a handful of compiler bugs unfortunately and still do from time to time, enough
that I’ve learned how to read Java bytecode. I still like the language features of Groovy
better and I haven’t found any solution other than dynamic Groovy to reasonably process
web services/documents though, so I still like Groovy better until it’s possible to combine
Kotlin+Groovy or Kotlin adds dynamic features. If you do use Groovy static compile then make
sure definitely to go with the latest 2.4.7.

Jason

From: Mario Garcia [mailto:mario.ggar@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 1:03 PM
To: users@groovy.apache.org
Subject: Re: Is it possible to enable CompileStatic for an entire project

If I'm not wrong, projects like Spock doesn't like @CompileStatic so in case I would like
to statically compile my project, at least I should be telling the compiler not to compile
statically my specifications. Something like:

withConfig(configuration) {
    source(unitValidator: { unit -> !unit.AST.classes.any { it.name.endsWith('Spec') }
}) {
        ast(CompileStatic)
    }
}

my two cents
Mario

A strong -1 for both options. We already have 2 variants of Groovy today, indy and non indy,
and in practice *nobody uses the invokedynamic version* because it's impractical to use. Typically
projects depend on `groovy.jar` or `groovy-all.jar`, not their invokedynamic version. Adding
a new dimension, which is orthogonal to invokedynamic makes it even more complicated. Don't
forget that the Groovy compiler is also mixed in its runtime (which is a problem of its own).
We should solve that first.

Second, IDEs need to know whether a file is statically compiled or not. The `@CompileStatic`
annotation makes it very clear, and the default is the standard dynamic mode that has been
in Groovy for more than 10 years. IDEs know about it, and it's simple to infer. Any alternative
solution, like the config script, or an alternate compiler (!) makes it impossible for the
IDE to guess. The only IDE-pragmatic solution is to have a distinct file extension for statically
compiled Groovy files (say, .sgroovy instead of .groovy). So far this has been ruled out,
but I think it's the most pragmatic, and IDE friendly, solution.