groovy-users mailing list archives

From "Winnebeck, Jason" <Jason.Winneb...@windstream.com>
Subject RE: Is it possible to enable CompileStatic for an entire project
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2016 12:38:49 GMT
Tying Cédric’s advice to your previous question about gmavenplus and joint compilation,
per https://github.com/groovy/GMavenPlus/wiki/Examples#configuration-script you add the configuration
tag with a reference to your groovy script.

Actually about 90+% of our code base in Groovy is CompileStatic I wonder if we should use
that. Cédric, if we use the config script method, is it still possible to use the “skip”
annotation to switch back to dynamic mode? Even if it worked, I highly doubt IntelliJ IDEA
would know about it and think all files are dynamic typing so probably it’s still best for
us to add @CompileStatic everywhere, but sometimes we forget where we wanted it. The performance
difference is extreme when we forget it, on a certain class we missed recently it took our
page rendering times from about 4ms to 52ms, so for us it’s an actual “bug” to forget
to add @CompileStatic.

Jason

From: Cédric Champeau [mailto:cedric.champeau@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 8:29 AM
To: users@groovy.apache.org
Subject: Re: Is it possible to enable CompileStatic for an entire project

It's in the docs: http://docs.groovy-lang.org/latest/html/documentation/#_static_compilation_by_default

Is it possible to enable CompileStatic for an entire project?

Or do you have to do it on a per class basis?

I like Groovy for some of it's features, and mostly for it's close to Java syntax but I would
really like it to be a static language.

I've heard about Groovy++ but I believe that's dead by now, no?

Question is wether you can tell the Groovy compiler with a flag to treat all Groovy classes
on certain paths as static?

Preferable doable from ANT too.

original message and any attachments.