groovy-users mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: Is it possible to enable CompileStatic for an entire project
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2016 23:54:01 GMT
On 23.06.2016 15:50, Winnebeck, Jason wrote:
[...]
> As for switching purely to indy, I've heard a lot of issues on this list where people
say it's slower, or at least the same.
> Has that changed now?

the problem is that the work on this part of the JDK is still ongoing.
Each test has to be done with a multitude of java versions and with each
version new. That is due to JDK8 making extensive use of invokedynamic
and MethodHandles for lambdas. JDK9 will even use it to speed up String
concatenation. So while in JDK7 indy was kind of a pet project with a
native code based implementation first, JDK8 caused the implementation
to be changed completely to internally runtime generated classes, which
had a lot of quirks in the beginning and a lot of optimization work to
be done in hotspot. And since the backports to JDK7 have been done
sometimes a bit half hearted (like introducing new bugs) JDK7 and JDK8
are completely different stories. But even in JDK8 things have been
improved over time a lot and still are.

If performance is the same it is good enough for me. If it is slower, it
might be that the next version of the JDK improves here. I do also think
we still have some air in our invokedynamic based implementation to
improve some things

> It's on my long list to benchmark our application with indy groovy but as we use compile
static almost exclusively so it’s not a high priority, but we use dynamic exclusively when
producing or consuming web services where it's nice to use things like XmlSlurper that don't
work with compile static and so indy is still of interest in our project.

I really wonder if there will be much performance difference in the
usage of the XmlSlurper. If there are negative effects, it would be
interesting to have your benchmark and trying to improve on it. As I
said, I do think we can still make things faster on the invokedynamic side.

bye Jochen