groovy-users mailing list archives

From Mr Andersson <mr.andersson....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is it possible to enable CompileStatic for an entire project
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2016 16:37:05 GMT

On 06/21/2016 02:38 PM, Winnebeck, Jason wrote:

> Tying Cédric’s advice to your previous question about gmavenplus and
> joint compilation, per
> https://github.com/groovy/GMavenPlus/wiki/Examples#configuration-script you
> add the configuration tag with a reference to your groovy script.

I also mentioned that I could not get Gmavenplus to work, but maybe i
did something wrong. But I literally copied and pasted that section.

> Actually about 90+% of our code base in Groovy is CompileStatic I
> wonder if we should use that. Cédric, if we use the config script
> method, is it still possible to use the “skip” annotation to switch
> back to dynamic mode? Even if it worked, I highly doubt IntelliJ IDEA
> would know about it and think all files are dynamic typing so probably
> it’s still best for us to add @CompileStatic everywhere, but sometimes
> we forget where we wanted it. The performance difference is extreme
> when we forget it, on a certain class we missed recently it took our
> page rendering times from about 4ms to 52ms, so for us it’s an actual
> “bug” to forget to add @CompileStatic.

The problem with  the ANT task is that I don't think I can set classpath
argumetns to the actual so passing the config location is a problem that
needs be resolved. Not that easy with maven.

*Groovy should instead provide a default GroovyStatic-2.4.4.jar* file
that enables this by default. That way everybody wins, and Groovy could
join the club of static languages and not get rejected by those that
needs to get Groovy.

It is also messy to set up config files for every maven module, although
I am not sure. The code in that config file is also not dynamic.

withConfig(configuration){ast(groovy.transform.CompileStatic)} and a
simple option -compileStatic that uses an internal version of that file
is preferable and *SIMPLER***.

groovyc -configscript src/conf/config.groovy src/main/groovy/MyClass.groovy

Is not needed here.