groovy-users mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk>
Subject Re: Is it possible to enable CompileStatic for an entire project
Date Sun, 26 Jun 2016 16:38:45 GMT
On Wed, 2016-06-22 at 14:30 +0200, Mr Andersson wrote:

[…]
> I do think that's the biggest problem. Groovy was the second largest
> JVM
> language in 2010, but it is not really that big anymore, mostly of
> competition by static languages such as Scala and Kotlin.

Groovy has no serious traction in the static world. Even with the
marketing push given by many people, including myself, Groovy has the
label "dynamic" firmly stuck to it; it is seen in the same grouping as
Clojure (and JRuby and Jython). When people are no discussing
refactoring of codebases then if the base language is Java then the
choice of language is Kotlin.

> People want to be able to refactor without risking of the code
> eventually breaking totally, and that's the problem with Groovy.
> Code
> will eventually become stale and stop working if it is put on layway
> for
> a while. No compile time checks is a problem for anyone interested
> in
> code quality.

This sounds like lazy staff misusing a dynamic language. People using
Groovy (and Clojure) as dynamic languages tend not to have this
problem.

--

Russel.