groovy-users mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk>
Subject Re: Is it possible to enable CompileStatic for an entire project
Date Sun, 26 Jun 2016 16:34:09 GMT
On Wed, 2016-06-22 at 09:59 +0200, Thibault Kruse wrote:
> I don't think the dynamic nature of Groovy is in general regarded as
> the weakest point of Groovy right now. However, I believe a fully
> static Groovy may still be preferrable than the dynamic Groovy,
> mostly
> from the point of view of maintaining and extending Groovy in the
> future, without financial sponsoring.

I believe that Kotlin has now beaten @CompileStatic everywhere Groovy,
the Gradle decision to make Kotlin the default script specification
language in Gradle 3 is one of the indicators (but not the only one).

Groovy needs to reinforce it's dynamic language with spot static
compilation credentials if it is to survive as a programming language
with traction.

> I would also be wary of shipping more variants of Groovy, the
> question
> to me is whether Groovy should just drop runtime dynamics. It would
> kind of stop being Groovy, but it might still be great.

Maybe it is time to ditch the non-indy artefact and ship only the indy
artefact.
--

Russel.