groovy-users mailing list archives

From "Søren Berg Glasius (GR8Conf EU)" <sbglas...@gr8conf.org>
Subject Re: Groovy Running Slower With More Memory
Date Mon, 09 May 2016 16:31:03 GMT
Hi Daniel,

Without knowing for sure, I would think that setting the minimum heap size to 20G would take
some time to allocate. What about just setting the maximum heap size, and let the JVM handle
the minimum size, or start lower, like 2G.

Best regards,
Søren Berg Glasius
GR8Conf Europe organizing team

GR8Conf ApS
Mobile: +45 40 44 91 88, Web: www.gr8conf.eu, Skype: sbglasius
Company Address: Buchwaldsgade 50, 5000 Odense C, Denmark
Personal Address: Hedevej 1, Gl. Rye, 8680 Ry, Denmark
--- GR8Conf - Dedicated to the Groovy Ecosystem

From: Daniel Price <danprice303@gmail.com>
Reply: users@groovy.apache.org <users@groovy.apache.org>
Date: May 9, 2016 at 18:28:38
To: users@groovy.apache.org <users@groovy.apache.org>
Subject:  Groovy Running Slower With More Memory

Good Afternoon.  I've been running some Groovy 2.4.2 scripts on a Windows 7 64-bit PC with
16GB of RAM.  My scripts are memory intensive SQL Server DB manipulators, and I have modified
startGroovy.bat to:

%JAVA_OPTS% -Xms8192M -Xmx8192M

I recently gained access to a new server running Windows Server 2012 that has 32GB RAM and
lots of flash disk, so I thought giving Groovy more RAM might allow the scripts to run faster.
So I installed Groovy on the server and modified startGroovy.bat to:

%JAVA_OPTS% -Xms20480M -Xmx20480M

But the new server runs my scripts about twice as slow as my PC.  This is true even with
the exact same RAM settings in startGroovy.bat.

I don't know if I should expect to see a large decrease in run time based on additional RAM,
but an increase seems odd to me.

Could this be due to OS differences?

Thanks!