groovy-users mailing list archives

From Gerald Wiltse <jerrywil...@gmail.com>
Subject Requesting Advice for Groovy Approach for Unique Date Conversions
Date Mon, 09 May 2016 23:04:27 GMT
All,

In summary, I would like any advice people can offer on how to approach the
task below, using the Groovy ways of thinking.

The topic at hand is a messy domain-specific problem working with dates in
Oracle's ERP software called JD Edwards. It's gory detail is documented
here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1171208/what-is-the-precise-definition-of-jdes-julian-date-format

I wish to write my own solution in Groovy.  A flexible swiss-army-knife
type package which lets me pass JDE and Gregorian dates and times (as
strings) in and out and define what I get back.  I am not looking for code,
but help escaping the procedural mindset.   The one senior Java programmer
just see's this as a few Static Methods.  I want to know what Groovy
developers see.

I'm guessing some combination of closures.  Perhaps factory pattern, which
I've never used? Does this sound like a "Functional programming" scenario,
where functional approach might be a good fit?
I want to start off on the best foot possible, but don't have the intuition
of high-level groovy thinking yet.

Gerald R. Wiltse
jerrywiltse@gmail.com