groovy-users mailing list archives

From Thibault Kruse <tibokr...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: About Gradle, Kotlin and Inner Fear
Date Mon, 23 May 2016 12:40:52 GMT
On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 9:05 PM, Schalk Cronjé <ysb33r@gmail.com> wrote:
> This sounds too much like maven-polyglot to me.

I think more along the lines of python setuptools. This is just a
python library, and it is called from python scripts like any other
python library. Why should Gradle not go that way, provide a library
for any JVM language to consume?

It is not quite like polyglot maven.

However, I also often think that it would also be useful if there was
a purely declarative DSL for programmatic builds that any buildsystem
could advertize to any IDE to describe the bits of the build relevant
to the IDE (e.g. all jars involved as dependencies with their
respective scopes, and maybe shell commands to invoke to process
certain tasks the IDE should not attempt to replicate).

Because that is the other problem of Gradle integration with any IDE;
that the IDE has to *execute* the build.gradle to find out e.g. the
dependency structure.