groovy-users mailing list archives

From Steve Byrne <sbyrne...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: groovy-lang.org down for now
Date Sun, 22 May 2016 14:40:42 GMT
[Copying from dev@groovy]

What about backing out the change for now?  This is looking really bad...think about how it
looks from the outside:

1) Pivotal appears to "abandon" Groovy as a language -- does not send a positive signal about
the language's future prospects

2) _Without warning_ the groovy-lang.org <http://groovy-lang.org/> site *DISAPPEARS*.
  "Oh well,", people think, "looks like Groovy is done for.  _Glad we did not make that decision
to depend on Groovy for our go-forward technology_"

3) The problem isn't being corrected.  This looks like either a) nobody is "a the wheel" (of
the car), or b) the folks behind Groovy (whomever they are, again I am speaking as it would
appear to the outside) are just really incompetent, and again "we're glad we did not decide
to invest development resources into using Groovy", or, "Wow, after Pivotal abandoning Groovy,
and now the whole Groovy lang site disappearing _in the middle of the night_", we'd better
move off Groovy -- too much risk"

*It's time to back out this change*.  Get groovy-lang.org <http://groovy-lang.org/>
back on the air ASAP!  Let Apache figure out their issue in parallel, but don't leave this
gaping and bleeding wound untreated any longer.  It really looks bad, and I think still at
this point, Groovy as a language/runtime/technology cannot afford to look bad, after item
1 above happened.

I really like Groovy and would hate to lose it because of this silly indecent.  And, not having
access to groovy-lang.org <http://groovy-lang.org/> (and all the docs about the GDK)
is hampering my development (yeah, I could have a local copy, that I replicate onto _each_
of my machines and keep up to date, but why bother?).

Here's hoping you make the right decision,
Steve