groovy-users mailing list archives

From Gerald Wiltse <jerrywil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Methods for Creating Ranges
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2016 06:31:24 GMT
For posterity, here's the working form of very short loop for accepting a
bunch of values in a map which are all in string form.  The goal is to try
to parsing them to their groovy types, and then assign them to the
variables on the current object if those variables exist.  This loop will
be in the constructor for various objects that get "instantiated" from this
source application.  The exception is needed for plain old string values.

taskProps.each {String k,String v ->
    if (this.hasProperty(tmpKey)) {
        try{
            this[tmpKey] =  new GroovyShell().parse(v).run()
        }catch(MissingPropertyException e){
            this[tmpKey] = v
        }
    }
}

Groovy really is amazing.

It seems the one side-effect is that all string properties will now have to
be enclosed in quotes, whereas before they did not.

Here are the proofs... Maybe mrhaki can post these examples on his blog.

def r = "1..5"
assert new GroovyShell().parse("return $r").run() == [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]

def b = "true"
assert new GroovyShell().parse("return $b").run() == true

def l = "['str1','str2']"
assert new GroovyShell().parse("return $l").run() == ['str1', 'str2']

def s = "'mystring'"
assert new GroovyShell().parse("return $s").run() == "mystring"

​def m = "['key1':'value1','key2':'value2']"
assert new GroovyShell().parse("return $m").run()​ ==
['key1':'value1','key2':'value2']​

Gerald R. Wiltse
jerrywiltse@gmail.com

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 1:57 AM, Gerald Wiltse <jerrywiltse@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Also, thank you so very much for the response!
>
> Gerald R. Wiltse
> jerrywiltse@gmail.com
>

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 1:57 AM, Gerald Wiltse <jerrywiltse@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Wow, i just wrote that exact code basically... and started responding to
>> your email, but there were various drawbacks to this approach as I don't
>> want to have to define handling of every property by name...  Then... it
>> hit me...
>>
>> def v = '1..10'
>> assert new GroovyShell().parse(v).run() == [1,2,3,4,5]
>>
>> It works!!!
>>
>> Something about the Eval works just a little bit differently than
>> GroovyShell i guess.  Perhaps Dierk  can explain.
>>
>> Last question, how expensive is this invocation of groovyshell and parse
>> and all that (resources wise)?  So-so?
>>

>> Gerald R. Wiltse
>> jerrywiltse@gmail.com
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 1:48 AM, Guillaume Laforge <glaforge@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> If you know it's a range when parsing that string, you can do this, with
>>> the toInteger() method:
>>>
>>>    def rangeString = "123..455"
>>>    def (String min, String max) = rangeString.tokenize("..")
>>>    def range = min.toInteger()..max.toInteger()

I want to