groovy-users mailing list archives

From DECLOEDT Loic EVADERIS <Loic.DECLO...@cea.fr>
Subject RE: groovy issue with @Grab
Date Wed, 23 Mar 2016 10:42:37 GMT
Hi Guillaume, Joechen
Just to bounce back on your suggestion, we have a use-case where we cannot directly annotate
the corresponding import. Generally, we have a main run script which uses classes defined
in other groovy files. In this case, we gather all @Grab in the main script for sake of clarity.
But I may happen that the imported packages are used in complementary files. For example,
we could have something like:
Helper.groovy
import static org.apache.commons.lang3.text.WordUtils.*
class Helper {
  static String capitalize(String s) {
    return capitalize(s)
  }
}

Run.groovy
@Grab('org.apache.commons:commons-lang3:3.4')
// user var to support annotation
def i=0
Helper.capitalize(“this is a test”)

In this case, we have to fall-back to inserting something annotable after Grab. This is not
a big deal, I just wanted to highlight this use case. Generally, we tend to make our run scripts
as minimal as possible and implement main code in other class files to improve reuse. I agree
however that, practically speaking, our run scripts are not as minimal as this one.
Thanks for your quick replies anyway.

Regards,

Loïc