Regarding documentation for methods, I am assuming you are referring to the method "help" of Python to get a method's doc string.

There is a difference between JVM based languages and Python. As far as I know, in case of Python the complete source is present everywhere so the doc strings are present for extraction. But in case of JVM langauges things have to be compiled and the docs are lost. So it's not possible to get the documentation from the final JAR files. That is my understanding and I don't think it's possible to have the documentation the same way as we get in case of Python.

Tools allow you to attach sources and if you are using something like gradle + Intellij IDEA you can have sources for everything using downloadSources from https://docs.gradle.org/current/dsl/org.gradle.plugins.ide.idea.model.IdeaModule.html. And the autocomplete you get in Intellij IDEA is great.

But yeah the groovysh or groovyConsole do not provide the auto complete like in case of Python.