groovy-users mailing list archives

From "Nelson, Erick [HDS]" <Erick.Nel...@hdsupply.com>
Subject RE: @Log annotation inside Groovy Script
Date Fri, 08 Jan 2016 19:55:45 GMT
I’m not sure if there is a better way to handle script logging.
The annotations is for classes and you cannot apply it to your script class.
Another  disadvantage is that I don’t think you can use the logger in static methods.

What you can do is ‘override’ the groovy Script class (the class that your script is an
instance of, kindof) by use the BaseScript annotation
Example:
Define your wrapper like this…

-bash-4.1$ cat MyScript.groovy
abstract class MyScript extends Script {
    java.util.logging.Logger log
    @Override def run () {
        log = java.util.logging.Logger.getLogger('')
        // any other startup stuff here….
        runMyScript()
      // any other shutdown stuff here…
    }
    abstract def runMyScript()
}

Note that I have added a script variable called log that you can then use in your script.

Then in your script do something like this…

@groovy.transform.BaseScript(MyScript)
import groovy.util.*
log.info 'hello'
log.severe 'hello'

sample run….

-bash-4.1$ groovy -Djava.util.logging.config.file=logging.properties test.groovy
Jan 8, 2016 11:53:04 AM java.util.logging.LogManager$RootLogger log
INFO: hello
Jan 8, 2016 11:53:04 AM java.util.logging.LogManager$RootLogger log
SEVERE: hello

The advantage here is that you can now add any other startup and shutdown code in the base
script class’s run method.