groovy-users mailing list archives

From Gerald Wiltse <jerrywil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Community Support for Novices
Date Fri, 08 Jan 2016 20:38:12 GMT
Sure, to that I would add that I am probably a textbook definition of a
"devops" person. I'm someone with extensive IT background, who has dabbled
in scripting and debugging apps for years to automate and solve operational
problems. Now I"m going deep into Groovy, for operational use cases. I
think it rare that a true novice would wake up one day and start coding in
Groovy. I would have never touched Groovy if it was not embedded in
Logicmonitor, an IT operations platform.

One thing I love / commend the groovy doc authors on is the examples where
they exist. This is something that almost never exists in Javadocs (if
ever).  They have been tremendous help.  Usually I only get stuck when
there are no examples in the groovydoc. I think just adding even one
example to docs that have none, would be the best use of any free time
someone has for doing documentation.

Gerald R. Wiltse
jerrywiltse@gmail.com

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 3:23 PM, Jim Northrop <
james.b.northrop@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Rather sounds like our docs could use a second viewpoint for those many
> peoplewho know nothing about I.T. at all, or just dipping their toe in the
> proverbial waters of hacking rather than the pros who already do this 4 a
> living. Something like a walk-thru of why would we do this? How do you waLk
> a file tree? When would a URL be needed? Whats a 'Rest' service? How do
> other languagessolve this issue and why should i usegroovy ?
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 8 Jan 2016, at 20:25, Gerald Wiltse <jerrywiltse@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I understand, you are probably right.
>
> I will use this opportunity to point out what I feel is a significant
> problem in general for people in my situation (sometimes). I'm not a java
> developer, and am only trying to teach myself groovy. The problem is that
> many groovy documents and examples assume you are a Java developer trying
> to transition. Not a super huge deal, and probably unavoidable given the
> circumstances, but it's a noteworthy barrier to adoption and learning for
> the novice. I'm glad the Groovy team is working on new features, not trying
> to port endless examples and use cases from Java to Groovy, however
> unfortunately for me, many of my problems are a result of this situation.
>

> Gerald R. Wiltse
> jerrywiltse@gmail.com
>

> On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 1:53 PM, Jochen Theodorou <blackdrag@gmx.org>
> wrote:
>
>> but I must say, I would not classify your question as a Groovy novice
>> question. @Log just uses normal logger, if you want more, you have to set a
>> logger that can do the things you want...  which is actually more a java
>> question then
>>
>> Am 08.01.2016 um 19:47 schrieb Gerald Wiltse:
>>
>>> Ok, you guys got it :)
>>>
>>> Gerald R. Wiltse
>>> jerrywiltse@gmail.com <mailto:jerrywiltse@gmail.com>
>>> 248-893-9110 (c)