groovy-users mailing list archives

From Edinson E. Padrón Urdaneta <edinson.padron.urdan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Convenient API reference
Date Fri, 29 Jan 2016 01:43:34 GMT
​> - given an instance of a class in a groovy shell list it's available
methods (the only thing I came up with is using a
groovy.inspect.swingui.ObjectBrowser)

What about <instance>.getClass().methods*.name (e.g.
''.getClass().methods*.name)?

> - given a Class name find out it's API and at least short descriptions
for its members (for example groovy's File class has a neat method eachLine
which I couldn't find neither in Oracle's Java official online API
reference nor in Groovy's GDK reference - it might be there but I haven't
found it when I needed it). The result is that I use google in such cases
which isn't the right way to do it IMHO. groovysh doesn't always give auto
complete suggestions for such cases also.

Maybe you just missed it?
http://docs.groovy-lang.org/latest/html/groovy-jdk/java/io/File.html#eachLine(groovy.lang.Closure)

> - given a class method get it's documentation

Maybe someone with a greater knowledge than mine can give you a more useful
answer about this but, as far as I know, the javadocs aren't part of the
bytecode, in other words, the documentation is striped away when the source
is compiled into bytecode (Python give you access to the docstrings through
the class/method/function's `__doc__` instance variable). So, you can't
access the javadocs without the source code.