groovy-users mailing list archives

From James Northrop <james.north...@orange.fr>
Subject Re: Community Support for Novices
Date Fri, 08 Jan 2016 21:21:07 GMT
Must agree on this one Gerald. Nothing brings home the point of a doc. more than a concrete
example of 'HOW' ? And many time i've just copied a sample directly into groovyConsole, done
a small tweek, tested and then used that result to solve the problem much more quickly than
doing it all from scratch. Think that's a 'Win' for GroovyDocs ;-}

On Jan 8, 2016, at 9:38 PM, Gerald Wiltse wrote:

> Sure, to that I would add that I am probably a textbook definition of a "devops" person.
I'm someone with extensive IT background, who has dabbled in scripting and debugging apps
for years to automate and solve operational problems. Now I"m going deep into Groovy, for
operational use cases. I think it rare that a true novice would wake up one day and start
coding in Groovy. I would have never touched Groovy if it was not embedded in Logicmonitor,
an IT operations platform.

> One thing I love / commend the groovy doc authors on is the examples where they exist.
This is something that almost never exists in Javadocs (if ever).  They have been tremendous
help.  Usually I only get stuck when there are no examples in the groovydoc. I think just
adding even one example to docs that have none, would be the best use of any free time someone
has for doing documentation.

> Gerald R. Wiltse
> jerrywiltse@gmail.com
>

> On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 3:23 PM, Jim Northrop <james.b.northrop@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> Rather sounds like our docs could use a second viewpoint for those many peoplewho know
nothing about I.T. at all, or just dipping their toe in the proverbial waters of hacking rather
than the pros who already do this 4 a living. Something like a walk-thru of why would we do
this? How do you waLk a file tree? When would a URL be needed? Whats a 'Rest' service? How
do other languagessolve this issue and why should i usegroovy ?

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 8 Jan 2016, at 20:25, Gerald Wiltse <jerrywiltse@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I understand, you are probably right.
>>
>> I will use this opportunity to point out what I feel is a significant problem in
general for people in my situation (sometimes). I'm not a java developer, and am only trying
to teach myself groovy. The problem is that many groovy documents and examples assume you
are a Java developer trying to transition. Not a super huge deal, and probably unavoidable
given the circumstances, but it's a noteworthy barrier to adoption and learning for the novice.
I'm glad the Groovy team is working on new features, not trying to port endless examples and
use cases from Java to Groovy, however unfortunately for me, many of my problems are a result
of this situation.

>> Gerald R. Wiltse
>> jerrywiltse@gmail.com
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 1:53 PM, Jochen Theodorou <blackdrag@gmx.org> wrote:
>> but I must say, I would not classify your question as a Groovy novice question. @Log
just uses normal logger, if you want more, you have to set a logger that can do the things
you want...  which is actually more a java question then