groovy-users mailing list archives

From "Winnebeck, Jason" <Jason.Winneb...@windstream.com>
Subject RE: A @CompileStatic for class members
Date Thu, 21 Jan 2016 16:31:48 GMT
What surprises me is that accessing by property is a lot slower than setter. I suppose I figured
once Groovy fully initialized the MOP and call site that t.member = 1 would perform essentially
exactly the same as t.setMember(1).

However, this test might have the normal micro-benchmark faults, since the side-effects are
not used, we can’t really predict what the JIT might do (such as eliminating some instructions
entirely), or triggering a method optimization on the script’s run method after the first
for loop but before the second (I don’t remember precisely how JIT works when you are not
re-entering the method continuously, but I don’t think every instruction is a possible point
where it can jump to the JIT-ed version). I wonder if using a tool like JMH would change the
results.

Jason

From: Cédric Champeau [mailto:cedric.champeau@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2016 10:52 AM
To: users@groovy.apache.org
Subject: Re: A @CompileStatic for class members

Your benchmark is wrong, because the caller is not statically compiled. What you have statically
compiled is the `Test` class, but the caller is not. So when you do `t.setMember(..)`, the
call is dynamic. It's the caller that you have to statically compile (or both, ideally).

Hi all, I’d like class field access in specific classes to be without groovy magic, so that
it is as fast as possible.  I guess this means disabling runtime metaprogramming for specific
classes (or fields).

At first, the http://docs.groovy-lang.org/latest/html/api/groovy/transform/CompileStatic.html
annotation looked like it might do the trick, as it mentions class properties being covered.
 It certainly works for class methods, but in my testing it didn’t make any difference to
class members.  Setting the field “directly” (ie, via t.member below) is still an order
of magnitude slower than using its implicit setter directly (ie, t.setMember()).  Similarly
for field access vs getter.  That annotation does not seem to cover field access or assignment.

So, is there a way to make field access as quick as using the implicit getter/setter?  Thanks,
Simon.

For example, on my 3+GHz Xeon with jdk1.8.0_66/groovy-all-2.4.3, the below code gives me:

t.member = val          34.577
t.setMember(val)        3.529
t.with { member = val } 127.922

package test

import groovy.transform.CompileStatic

@CompileStatic
class Test {
    String member
}

String val = 'test'
Test t = new Test()

for (long i = 0; i < 100 * 1000 * 1000; ++i) {
    t.setMember(val)
}

long time = 1000 * 1000 * 1000
long beg = System.currentTimeMillis()
for (long i = 0; i < time; ++i) {
    t.member = val
}
println('t.member = val\t\t'+(System.currentTimeMillis() - beg) / 1000.0)

beg = System.currentTimeMillis()
for (long i = 0; i < time; ++i) {
    t.setMember(val)
}
println('t.setMember(val)\t'+(System.currentTimeMillis() - beg) / 1000.0)

beg = System.currentTimeMillis()
for (long i = 0; i < time; ++i) {
    t.with { member = val }
}
println('t.with { member = val }\t'+(System.currentTimeMillis() - beg) / 1000.0)

"Misys" is the trade name of the Misys group of companies. This email and any attachments
have been scanned for known viruses using multiple scanners. This email message is intended
for the named recipient only. It may be privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the
named recipient of this email please notify us immediately and do not copy it or use it for
any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person. This email does not constitute
the commencement of legal relations between you and Misys. Please refer to the executed contract
between you and the relevant member of the Misys group for the identity of the contracting
party with which you are dealing.

original message and any attachments.