groovy-users mailing list archives

From "Winnebeck, Jason" <Jason.Winneb...@windstream.com>
Subject RE: Groovy Beta
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2016 20:13:05 GMT
Sorry, I wasn't clear. By snapshot I meant a declaration/tag by the developers. For example
when Groovy team releases 2.5.0-beta1, not only is it something I can explain globally "we
are using 2.5.0-beta1 and see xyz", but it also means that the team is saying the code is
in a reasonable state for someone to use (i.e. there's not a major refactor in progress --
for example I have no clue if 2.5.0 being a new feature branch has a refactor going on).

Anyway, knowing about the snapshot builds is useful as I can eliminate any potential mistake
in my build process. I will try that snapshot JAR Monday to verify the fix for GROOVY-7705
for our application.

I apologize about the side-tracked conversation, initially I only meant to ask whether or
not a release was soon to know if I should go through the effort of validating a nightly for
a production system. Since 2.5 beta is not soon, the only open question left for me is if
GROOVY-7705 could be backported into 2.4.6 or at least 2.4.x (I'd feel safer with a 2.4.7-SNAPSHOT
than 2.5.0-SNAPSHOT). I asked that in the JIRA.

-----Original Message-----
From: Pascal Schumacher [mailto:pascalschumacher@gmx.net]
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2016 2:54 PM
To: users@groovy.apache.org
Subject: Re: Groovy Beta

Hi Jason,

you do not have to build it yourself if you want to validate a snapshot.

You can add https://oss.jfrog.org/artifactory/oss-snapshot-local/ as a maven repo and pull
2.5.0-SNAPSHOT from there.

-Pascal

Am 15.01.2016 um 20:46 schrieb Winnebeck, Jason:
> I have built Groovy on my home machine successfully, it is not bad at all. However, I'm
working on a large enterprise app, so it is nice to at least have some form of snapshot in
time. So, I can deploy it to our local Maven repository under different group ID, but then
I still have the uncertainty of pulling the latest code and not even knowing if there is a
half-finished task or refactor going on in there, whereas with a "blessed" beta the team is
saying they think the code is clean. I could validate the "tip" works in our app but that
is not productive if a release is coming soon. There's also the awkward-ness of having a custom-built
Groovy not-quite-2.4 but not-quite-2.5 version out and about. However, the fix is big enough
for me that if it doesn't make it into the recent 2.4.6 release, I may very well go through
the effort to build the tip of beta branch and validate.

> Jason

(which is 9 years old so I expect modern kit to do better).

> --
> Russel.
> Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.winder@ekiga.net
> 41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel@winder.org.uk
> London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder

> This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
original message and any attachments.