groovy-users mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: GGTS
Date Fri, 22 Jan 2016 16:09:39 GMT

On 22.01.2016 11:34, Guillaume Laforge wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> As Pivotal stopped the development & maintenance of GGTS, you won't
> see a new version anytime soon, unfortunately.
> I'm not 100% sure what's the state of the Eclipse plugin though,
> perhaps the situation is better there (I'm using IntelliJ IDEA myself,
> so I can't comment)
> That said, the developers of GGTS (and actually of the Eclipse plugin
> too) are willing to help someone who'd want to ramp up and contribute
> to the development, in case you'd be interested in helping!

It is actually quite sad... I mean we are kind of loosing all those
developers that are forced to use Eclipse.. ahem... and those that
simply prefer Eclipse of Idea. It is an entry barrier... they try the
plugin out, maybe it is then not working any more, because nobody helped
keeping it up-to-date with Eclipse and then they think Groovy is stupid
and unusable... end of story.

But given the current situation I don't know anyone having spare cycles
to spend on the eclipse plugin. There have been some people in the past
saying they may help the eclipse plugin, but if they will actually do
something is yet to be seen I think. So there is interest, but time is
missing... and eclipse/JDt is not something you can get into on a weekend.

So even though I am not using Eclipse anymore myself, I would be quite
happy in seeing the groovy eclipse plugin to continue living. I mean it
is in a pretty good shape right now... but it needs people keeping it in
sync with eclipse, even if they fix not a single bug.

bye Jochen