groovy-users mailing list archives

From Keith Suderman <suder...@anc.org>
Subject Re: 17th in the TIOBE programming language index
Date Fri, 08 Jan 2016 22:03:41 GMT
It is great that Groovy is in the top 20 (and Java is #1), but I have to question their methodology
and numbers as well.  For instance Pascal is at #16.  Really?  Pascal?  Number 16?  Is there
a huge Pascal development community somewhere that I don’t know about? Similarly, Delphi/Object
Pascal is at number 12!  The future for Pascal programmers looks bright indeed ;-)

Keith

> On Jan 8, 2016, at 3:56 AM, Guillaume Laforge <glaforge@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You're of course totally right!
>
> It's just that following the index in the past, I noticed the big
> fluctuations from month to month, which are just not plausible in real
> life. A language wouldn't jump up'n down in popularity that much (nor
> in terms of actual usage).
>
> Also, statistically speaking, seeing a ranking with percentages with
> some many figures after the comma, for just one small percent, makes
> me think that it's not relevant, accurate, or realistic for
> comparisons.
>
> But that's nice to be in the top-20 nonetheless ;-)
>
> Guillaume
>
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 8:57 AM, Pierre Smits <pierre.smits@gmail.com> wrote:
>> While I agree that position in rankings can be argued, it does have it
>> effect on potential adopters. A high position tells the potential adopter
>> something, and it is commonly known that there are more followers than
>> leaders.
>>
>> So congratulations on this achievement by the community.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Pierre Smits
>>
>> OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
>> http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/