Are the imports you are adding star imports? If so, it is likely the problem. If you know the exact classes that you want to import, it is better to import them as fully qualified class names. I had a similar issue with Gradle recently, and it has been partly mitigated with this commit: https://github.com/gradle/gradle/commit/42e9f41e41880178aa85ebac6956690c711c7130

I'm pretty sure we can improve resolution time by providing better knowledge to the compiler of what imports are possible.

Hi all,

I am using Groovy embedded into an application which runs user-provided scripts. I see a significant parsing performance issue when the compiler is configured to add ~30 automatic imports via an ImportCustomizer, but I can't figure out why it is happening.

For various unrelated reasons, we segregate individual user scripts by creating a new GroovyClassLoader for each one and parsing each script in its own context. (These classloaders all chain to a single parent Groovy classloader that contains some shared functionality.)

With the scripts segregated like this, I noticed that even an empty script takes 300+ ms to parse, which seems excessive. If I remove the automatic imports, the parse takes <10 ms instead. But I also found something bizarre in how the CompilerConfiguration seems to influence the parse time.

I am 99% sure that the parsed class is not cached, since I turned off all of those options and I also stepped into the parse() function to confirm that it was walking through all of the phases.

Could it be that the extra time is actually consumed by loading/resolving the imported classes, and not something Groovy is manipulating during the parse itself? That seems possible (and is potentially understandable, at least on the first invocation), except for one weirdness:

The parse time problem appears tied to the specific instance of a CompilerConfiguration object being provided to the child classloader. For example, when creating the child classloader, if I supply the same CompilerConfiguration object that was provided to the parent classloader, the parse time suddenly get very fast!

But if I instead construct a new CompilerConfiguration object for every script, the parse is very slow, even though the newly-constructed CC is identical to the previous one, and even though each script is still using its own separate classloader.

What is going on (and how do I fix it)? Here is an example that you can run in groovysh that demonstrates the problem:

http://pastebin.com/V1ijXPjC

Here is the output:

===> true
Showing slow parse time