groovy-users mailing list archives

From Guillaume Laforge <glafo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A Brief History of Groovy
Date Fri, 09 Oct 2015 18:55:32 GMT
On the infamous quote, I've also replied to a Quora question there:
https://www.quora.com/Is-Groovy-going-away

Basically, I often try to make parallels.
For instance, if JPA had existed 10 years before, would someone like Gavin
King had created Hibernate? Likely not.
So if language X had offered the same level of productivity as Groovy on
the JVM, when Groovy was created, the itch to scratch to create something
like that wouldn't have been there.

Anyhow, leaders, committers, advocates come and go.

James worked a couple of years on Groovy, or three, and then moved on to
create ActiveMQ, then later on ServiceMix, etc.
James is a very creative person, and moves his attentions to newer projects.
Other folks like to finish things through, and spend time to achieve their
goals for the project.
An OSS project needs different kind of persons, I think.

I'll always be grateful to James for giving me the chance to work on such a
wonderful and lovely project.
It was the beginning of my career when I started on Groovy, and I had the
change to learn a lot from working with him.

--
Guillaume Laforge
Apache Groovy committer & PMC member

Blog: http://glaforge.appspot.com/