groovy-users mailing list archives

From Owen Rubel <oru...@gmail.com>
Subject A Brief History of Groovy
Date Fri, 09 Oct 2015 17:30:09 GMT
I write a few articles about Groovy and every now and then I have a Scala
fanatic through the James Strachan quote in my face. You know the one? The
one where he is quoted on a Scala blog saying how if he had known about
Scala when he was writing Groovy, he would have never created it'??

I always like to say to people that he wasn't that involved with the
project and he left early on... but I always wanted to know what happened.
And the truth would make you so proud of your current leaders that I had to
share.

Apparently as the team was pushing to hit their 1.0 launch, James was
dragging his feet and there was some pushback (at least from what I can
tell).

This all came to a head when James published an article on his blog
entitled 'Groovy is Dead' (article not available - if someone has this, I
would LOVE to read).

The community response? Calm, cool, collected. Some even considered the
response as positive feedback for the project. Others defended him and said
that it was unfair to ask him to leave the project. All in all, I was
amazed to see the level of cool heads to the kind of attack that was
leveled at a project that was still 'alpha'.

http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.groovy.jsr/month=20050101

As we all know, Guillaume took over the project and has been a stellar
leader since then. This was his initial post on the matter showing his
leadership skills even back then...

http://glaforge.appspot.com/article/groovy-s-dead-long-live-groovy

Why do I bring this up? Two reason... to understand the day to day of what
our leaders go through and to understand that we ALL have the ability to be
'James'

I realize myself in reading that that there are people who want me to do
well, that want me to succeed in spite of myself. There will always be
those who will be naysayers out there but for the few who believe you have
something, do it for them... rise to the occassion.

If you can stay afloat, tomorrow may bring 2.0 of your life!

So with that... the next time someone tells you that quote oj James
Strachan know two things: James was probably still upset and Scala appeals
to a different group of people.

Also remember how our current leaders didn't falter and rose to the
occasion. And let that smile comes to mind whenever those Scala guys try to
bring you down. :)

Owen Rubel
415-971-0976
orubel@gmail.com