groovy-users mailing list archives

From "Winnebeck, Jason" <Jason.Winneb...@windstream.com>
Subject RE: A Brief History of Groovy
Date Fri, 09 Oct 2015 20:12:42 GMT
I'm not sure whether that post is a direct repost (because it references Programming in Scala,
which appears to be published in 2008), in either case the posts I've read I don't quite see
it as a "Groovy sucks no one should use it", but that had he realized there were good-enough
alternatives for him at the time he wouldn't have gone through the effort of making Groovy.
Groovy has evolved a lot since that time and also has optionally static typing now which wasn't
even planned then, so the comment doesn't apply now. Even if it did, I wouldn't say it's necessarily
a negative for Groovy. I might say something like "had I known about AngularJS when I started
learning JavaFX, I never would have learned JavaFX", which for me is a true statement but
being different domains it says nothing bad about JavaFX, in fact it's by far the best UI
framework for Java but I found Angular more universal and easier to deploy in use cases relevant
to me.

Jason

From: Keith Suderman [mailto:suderman@anc.org]
Sent: Friday, October 09, 2015 4:05 PM
To: users@groovy.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: A Brief History of Groovy

On Oct 9, 2015, at 12:03 PM, Owen Rubel <orubel@gmail.com<mailto:orubel@gmail.com>>
wrote:

no that wasnt it... it was in 2005 on his now defunct blog.

I think that is just a reposting of the original article to his new blog.  At least it contains
the "famous quote".

However, when people mention the quote to me I respond with, "Thank goodness he hadn't know
about Scala."  Scala may be a great language, but for me what makes Groovy the hands down
winner is syntax; being able to rename a .java file to .groovy and have it be 99% correct
(often 100%) is a huge benefit.  Of course Java and Groovy syntax have started to diverge,
but I always get the feeling that in some places Scala changes the syntax just to be contrary.

Keith

But yes. Seeing it now through different eyes, I feel for him but I also feel for the group
for having to make rough decisions.

It's never easy for people to have to do those things and its never easy for someone to let
go of something they created.

Perhaps James saying 'Groovy is crap' helps him to let go of it psychologically... which is
a great way to help him heal and I'm sure he is past that alot by now.

We all have hurt and we just have to rise above it and be introspective and look inside ourselves
and try to see what we can learn and derive from it. In reading that conversation, I learned
alot about what happened and I guess about myself too. It was very eye opening in how mature
every one was... made me feel like I had alot to learn.

I just thought it a nice restrospect on the leadership and how they weathered hard times together...
not a pointing of a finger at an individual who reacted in a moment of weakness. Otherwise
I would spend most of the time pointing at myself.

Owen Rubel
415-971-0976
orubel@gmail.com<mailto:orubel@gmail.com>

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 11:39 AM, Jochen Theodorou <blackdrag@gmx.org<mailto:blackdrag@gmx.org>>