groovy-users mailing list archives

From Maarten Boekhold <boekh...@gmx.com>
Subject Re: IntelliJ/Maven/GMavenPlus project, groovy scripts and run CLASSPATH
Date Sun, 04 Oct 2015 07:29:35 GMT
Hi Keegan,

Let me describe how everything is normally run in "deployed mode", and
then what my development environment in maven/IntelliJ looks like.

Deployed mode:

  * Java code/jars are installed in ${dir}/lib
  * Groovy code installed in ${dir}/scripts
      o This is a mix of interface declarations, 'real classes' and
        scripts, uncompiled
  * Start/stop scripts in ${dir}/etc
  * CLASSPATH /only/ has the JAR files from under ${lib} in it!
  * When running the program, a configuration file tells the application
    to load/parseClass() all groovy files under ${dir}/scripts using a
    GroovyClassLoader instance. There is some logic there to load/parse
    things in order so as to handle dependency issues between
    classes/scripts. The resulting classes are cached in a Map. Based on
    certain events (data mapping requests) a class instance is retrieved
    from the Map, instantiated and run.
      o In fact, the application uses the JSR223 API to load things, and
        under the hood, that uses GroovyClassLoader.parseClass()

Maven/IntelliJ:

  * Java code under src/main/java
  * Groovy code under src/main/groovy
  *  From the "Maven Projects" tool window, I use "mvn clean compile" to
    compile all code. This *also* compiles all groovy files and
    generates class files under target/classes!
  * I have a "Run Configuration" that uses the "classpath of module".
  * The configuration file tells the main application "load all groovy
    files under src/main/groovy"
  * The problem here is that when building the project, 'mvn clean
    compile' also compiles all groovy scripts to target/classes.
  * When I now run my run configuration, the /groovy classes/interfaces/
    are already on the CLASSPATH, so there's a conflict between running
    the scripts as loaded by GroovyClassLoader.parseClass() and the ones
    that are already on the classpath. I'm getting lots of
    GroovyClassCastExceptions because it's trying to cast to classes
    that are loaded by a different classloader (eg from the classpath).
    This is the thing I need to avoid/fix.
      o I also need to write unit tests for the groovy code, and for
        that I do need all groovy code on the test-classpath, just to
        complicate things a bit more. Btw for those unit tests there's
        no loading of classes via GroovyClassLoader/jsr223 involved, so
        that makes things a bit simpler again.

I could of course just remove GMavenPlus from my pom.xml, but then my
groovy code isn't compiled at all, and I do want that "safety net" to
capture errors in that part of the (groovy) code.

Still a bit of a complicated description I guess, but I hope it's a
little bit more clear what I'm trying to achieve now.

Maarten