groovy-users mailing list archives

From Merlin Beedell <MBeed...@cryoserver.com>
Subject RE: GroovyConsole System.exit() suggestion
Date Thu, 17 Sep 2015 12:16:19 GMT
Well - this would help if it was part of the Console app.  I don't really want to pop this
code in to each script just for testing purposes.

Furthermore, it would also be nice if the console could setup the args[] & stdin features.
 This would mean:

Ø  Ability to pass parameters to scripts (to emulate a command line)

Ø  Pipe output of an o/s statement to the current script. [dir c:/ | <this script>].
 The console would need to launch the o/s command etc.

..and so the wish list grows!!

Merlin Beedell

From: Schalk Cronjé [mailto:ysb33r@gmail.com]
Sent: 04 September 2015 18:07
To: users@groovy.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: GroovyConsole System.exit() suggestion

Does this - http://jroller.com/ethdsy/entry/disabling_system_exit - help ?

On 04/09/2015 17:36, Merlin Beedell wrote:
I note that the useful GroovyConsole will exit if the script being run hits a System.exit().
 This is understandable when the script runs in that same thread as the Console.  But it would
be really useful to be able to run scripts in a separate thread to protect against exit()
[and to display the exit value] and also for scripts with infinite loops that need to be killed!

And, maybe, it would also allow these scripts to obtain the 'console' object for keyboard
input?

                Console cons = System.console()
                Boolean isWorking () {
                                if (!cons)
                                {
                                                println "Cannot open a console for input"
 //always the case under GroovyConsole
                                }
                                return (cons != null)
                }