groovy-users mailing list archives

From Jamie Echlin <jamie.ech...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: infer return type of script
Date Tue, 22 Sep 2015 12:04:18 GMT
> The question is what you would use that information for

So, basically, users provide a script in the UI, the value that it returned
is indexed (in Lucene) by one of several various indexers that is
configured elsewhere. You use JIRA, so you know what I'm talking about...
it's JIRA.

Only certain return types make sense depending on the configured indexer.

Let's say I'm using the indexer that requires a Double. It occurs to me
(actually my colleague) that the script could implicitly extend some other
class than Script, eg:

class DoubleScript {
    abstract Double run()
}

This could be set on the compilerconfiguration.

I think if we do that the type-checker would point out the errors in the
following script:

       if (xyz()) {

           111D

       }

       else {

           "sss"

       }

which would solve the problem. Sounds sensible?
cheers, jamie

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 10:39 AM, Cédric Champeau <cedric.champeau@gmail.com