groovy-users mailing list archives

From Marc Paquette <mar...@mac.com>
Subject Re: GMavenPlus or groovy-eclipse-compiler?
Date Tue, 22 Sep 2015 12:39:36 GMT
First, Keegan has written nice explanations about this, in case you haven’t got that yet
: https://github.com/groovy/GMavenPlus/wiki/Usage <https://github.com/groovy/GMavenPlus/wiki/Usage>

These goals, generateStubs and testGenerateStubs are bound to the `compile` maven phase and
`install` phase depends on `compile`, so yes they will be executed provided they are listed
as goals in the configuration of gmavenplus-plugin.

Maven phases are part of the lifecycle : Maven – Introduction to the Build Lifecycle <https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB0QFjAAahUKEwiV_Ymr1IrIAhXIGj4KHSErBEw&url=https://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-lifecycle.html&usg=AFQjCNEIvKCYlDOtaHgA_xAMHgn_z6C3uQ>;
the default lifecycle is documented here : https://maven.apache.org/ref/3.3.3/maven-core/lifecycles.html
<https://maven.apache.org/ref/3.3.3/maven-core/lifecycles.html>.

Hope that helps,
Marc

> Le 2015-09-22 à 03:46, Maarten Boekhold <boekhold@gmx.com> a écrit :
>
> Hi,
>
> Showing of my "not being a maven expert" here I suppose.... normally I just run "mvn
clean install". Will that automatically run "generateStubs" (and "testGenerateStubs")? Or
do I need to do something special for that to happen?

> Maarten
>
> On 2015-09-21 23:08, Winnebeck, Jason wrote:
>> You have to call the generateStubs goal in the GMavenPlus plugin if you want stubs.
You only need to generate stubs if you have Java and Groovy within the same project, andyou
have Java code referencing Groovy classes. If your Java code is in a separately compiled module
(i.e. Groovy module A generates A.jar used by Java module B depending on A), or if the Java
code does not reference Groovy classes (Groovy calling Java is fine), then you do not need
stubs.

>> The reason why stubs are needed are because the Java compiler cannot read Groovy
source files. The stub is a Java version of the Groovy class with none of the code within
the methods so that javac can call against it. In the case of separate modules, javac can
use the .class files generated by Groovy.

>> Jason

to do anything do let java call groovy and vice versa? And is there any impact on packaging
the compiled result?

<mailto:Jason.Winnebeck@windstream.com>> wrote:

>> Actually I agree with the compile difference issues. We used Groovy-Eclipse for the
short time period after GMaven was deprecated but before GMavenPlus was available. It was
a horrible experience. The joint compilation was nice, but the compiler results were always
different, and there was always significant lag in Groovy releases. Specifically, we had major
issues constantly with static compiler where code would compile under groovyc/intellij but
not compile under groovy-eclipse in Maven, so we had check-ins causing compiler errors all
the time. Additionally, it was also easy to mismatch Groovy version to the compiler version,
which would cause even more problems. Switching to GMavenPlus solved all of our problems as
it uses mainline Groovy to compile, which is also what IntelliJ uses, and it uses any Groovy
version as soon as it comes out, and the Groovy version defined in Maven so there’s no risk
of a mismatch.

>> The one and only benefit that existed to the Groovy-Eclipse compiler was that stubs
were not needed.

>> Jason

 But I plan to update Groovy-Eclipse myself with support for GMavenPlus (so you don't have
to do the custom lifecycle mapping thing) in the coming weeks (should be an easy code change,
I just need the time to test it -- I talked about doing this with Andrew Eisenberg quite a
while back, but it fell off my radar, sorry).  In the mean time, I'm pretty sure what you
did should be fine.

>> Thanks for mentioning 2.4.4 issue (as an IntelliJ guy, I tend not to notice).  If
I get some free time, I'll also take a look at updating for Groovy 2.4.4/2.4.5. <http://2.4.5./>
 I'm not sure offhand how much work that'll be (if it doesn't suck too much of my life away,
I'll keep it updated from now on until we find someone with more Eclipse compiler expertise
to take over proper maintenance of the project).

>> It's true Groovy-Eclipse uses forked classes.  In some ways though, they have more
functionality than the official classes (in fact we'd talked about merging some of this with
upstream Groovy after we finish the ANTLR 4 stuff -- currently considering for whenever we
do Groovy 3).  But I was never comfortable using them because there were occasional differences
I've seen in what would compile in Groovy-Eclipse vs what would compile with groovyc/GMavenPlus/Gradle.
 You can see the forked classes for Groovy 2.4 here <https://github.com/groovy/groovy-eclipse/tree/master/base/org.codehaus.groovy24/src/org/codehaus/groovy>.
 But I think the reason most folks recommend something like GMavenPlus over Groovy-Eclipse
isn't because there are minor compilation differences, but because there are things <https://github.com/groovy/GMavenPlus/wiki/Choosing-Your-Build-Tool#groovy-eclipse-compiler-plugin-for-maven>
you can't do in Groovy-eclipse (e.g. Groovydoc, invokedynamic, configuration scripts).

>> Short answer: I don't like labeling my advice the "official" word (since as the GMavenPlus
author, my opinion may appear biased), but I think the community consensus concurs with me.
 I'd suggest using GMavenPlus with the lifecycle mapping as you have done, then remove the
mapping once I patch Groovy-Eclipse.

>> -Keegan
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 1:20 AM, Maarten Boekhold <boekhold@gmx.com <mailto:boekhold@gmx.com>>
wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm looking on some feedback on which maven plugin is currently preferred/recommended:
GMavenPlus or groovy-eclipse-compiler?

>> As far as I know, development on the groovy-eclipse-compiler has stalled somewhat,
and currently it does not support Groovy 2.4.4. Also, it's using its own groovy compiler,
not the official one.

>> GMavenPlus on the other hand seems to lack Eclipse M2E support. If you import a maven
project that uses GMavenPlus into Eclipse you get lots of these annoying "plugin execution
not covered by lifecycle" errors.

>> On a project that currently uses the groovy-eclipse compiler I did a small test to
replace it with GMavenPlus and I managed to get rid of those errors by including the following
in my pom.xml, but I'm not sure that doesn't introduce any issues down the road (I'm not familiar
at all with mapping Eclipse lifecycle events to maven goals):

>> <plugin>
>>     <groupId>org.eclipse.m2e</groupId>
>>     <artifactId>lifecycle-mapping</artifactId>
>>     <version>1.0.0</version>
>>     <configuration>
>>
>> <lifecycleMappingMetadata>
>>
>>    <pluginExecutions>
>>
>> <pluginExecution>
>>
>> <pluginExecutionFilter>
>>
>> <groupId>
>>
>> org.codehaus.gmavenplus
>>
>> </groupId>
>>
>> <artifactId>
>>
>> gmavenplus-plugin
>>
>> </artifactId>
>>
>> <versionRange>
>>
>> [1.5,)
>>
>> </versionRange>
>>
>> <goals>
>>
>>     <goal>addSources</goal>
>>
>> <goal>addTestSources</goal>
>>
>> <goal>compile</goal>
>>
>> <goal>generateStubs</goal>
>>
>> <goal>removeStubs</goal>
>>
>>              <goal>removeTestStubs</goal>
>>
>> <goal>testCompile</goal>
>>
>> <goal>
>>
>> testGenerateStubs
>>
>> </goal>
>>
>> </goals>
>>
>>              </pluginExecutionFilter>
>>
>> <action>
>>
>> <ignore></ignore>
>>
>> </action>
>>
>> </pluginExecution>
>>
>> </pluginExecutions>
>>
>> </lifecycleMappingMetadata>
>>     </configuration>
>> </plugin>
>>
>> Is there any "official" advise on this topic?
>>
>> Maarten
>>

>> This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
original message and any attachments.