groovy-users mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk>
Subject Re: What is the status of GPars?
Date Tue, 01 Sep 2015 08:39:01 GMT
Guillaume pointed out your email to the list about GPars which I seem
to have missed and therefore failed to reply to. Sorry about that. I
reply now though, better late than never :-)

GPars is alive but due to lack of resources is not as kicking as it
should be. The GPars 1.x series is focused on Groovy and JDK7 but runs
on JDK8 as it should. JDK8 and the Streams does make some of GPars a
little redundant, however GPars provides far more than Steams offers:
actors, dataflow, communicating sequential processes, etc. This is
significantly more that both Streams and Akka provide, so GPars gives
Groovy, Java and Scala programmers more than they can get elsewhere.

I had started an effort to create GPars 2.x being a JDK8+ specific
version of GPars using all the Streams rather than the
jsr166e/extra166e stuff that is used for GPars 1.x. A number of people
volunteered their services to help with the work but no pull requests
have ensued. I have had to focus most of my efforts in non-Groovy
directions since there appears to be no Groovy consultancy and training
activity, it is all Python, Go, Rust, D, C++. Thus I have had no time
for GPars 2.x myself of late. Hopefully this will change in the near
future.

As for the Web site, I did a hack Jekyll job to get the material to
gpars.github.io from gpars.codehaus.org but all my calls for people to
help with design and CSS, whilst resulting in a few offers of help have
not resulted in anyone actually doing anything. Václav has hesitated
changing the DNS entries for gpars.org until things have settled.

In summary, your GPars needs you. (To mis-quote a 1914 poster.)

--
Russel.