groovy-users mailing list archives

From "Winnebeck, Jason" <Jason.Winneb...@windstream.com>
Subject RE: type checked with generics issue
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2015 12:32:54 GMT
Whoever wrote that type inference documentation should be commended, it is very good and very
thorough. Very understandable and easy to read yet detailed enough even to satisfy the curiosity
of “how did they get that to work?”. In fact, since moving out of Codehaus wiki, the documentation
is far improved. From a user’s perspective I was concerned at first that a rewrite would
take forever, but it didn’t and these new docs continue to impress each time I open them.

Jason

From: Cédric Champeau [mailto:cedric.champeau@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 4:19 AM
To: users@groovy.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: type checked with generics issue

Hi Jamie,

See http://docs.groovy-lang.org/latest/html/documentation/#_variables_vs_fields_in_type_inference
for an explanation.

I'm confused about the type checking in one instance. Take this:

class Foo {
    String getBar() { "bar" }
}

@TypeChecked
class TestFoo {

    def foo = new Foo()

    void test() {
        assert foo.bar == "bar"
    }
}

If the def of foo is within the test() method it's fine, but where it is it seems not to be
able to resolve the type (cannot resolve symbol "bar"). Why can't it infer the type - I don't
see what will change the type between initialisation and the when the method is called.

cheers, jamie

original message and any attachments.