Thanks for your help.   The problem actually had nothing to do with vararg syntax.   Instead, the link from the script to the methods in question broke.   The methods were in a subclass of Script, and the script was supposed to be an instance of this subclass, but it was instead just an instance of Script.  Or rather, its class was a subclass of Script instead of being a subclass of what it was supposed to be.   Anyway, once I quit obsessing on the vararg syntax and started looking for other things that could be wrong, I found it.