groovy-users mailing list archives

From Rahul Somasunderam <rsomasunde...@transcendinsights.com>
Subject Suggestions for performance improvement
Date Fri, 10 Jul 2015 19:33:53 GMT
Here's a project i've setup to run some tests - https://github.com/rahulsom/perfcomp
The code is based on Mr Haki's http://mrhaki.blogspot.com/2009/09/groovy-goodness-multimethods-or.html

This is the result of running my tests

Environment
===========
* Groovy: 2.4.3
* JVM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.31-b07, Oracle Corporation)
    * JRE: 1.8.0_31
    * Total Memory: 123 MB
    * Maximum Memory: 1820.5 MB
* OS: Mac OS X (10.9.5, x86_64)

=======
* Warm Up: Auto (- 60 sec)
* CPU Time Measurement: On

                            user  system     cpu    real

JApplication.java             13       0      13      13
JApplication.groovy           94       0      94     100
Application.java          426181    1584  427765  429254
Application.javaStatic    288418     918  289336  290410
Application.groovy        832317    2360  834677  837481
Application.groovyStatic  687717    2024  689741  697543

It looks like when Java executes the code, it's several orders of magnitude faster. Is there
an option I can try tuning to improve groovy's odds in this comparison?
I could get IDEA to run my Application.groovy. I couldn't get gradle to do that, possibly
because there's java code depending on groovy code and groovy code depending on java code.
Please ignore that if you want to play with the project.

Appreciate any help/advice.

R,
rahul

Rahul Somasunderam
Engineer, Transcend Insights

and may contain CONFIDENTIAL material.  If you receive this material/information in error,