groovy-users mailing list archives

From Robert Stagner <restag...@gmail.com>
Subject Error message in version 2.4.4 is not as helpful as it was in version 2.2.2
Date Sun, 19 Jul 2015 15:29:48 GMT
While executing the following code in 2.4.4

abstract class Module {
>     abstract String getModuleName()
> }
> class Master extends Module {
>     String title
>     String track
> }
> def master = new Master(title: "Hello", track: "1")
> println master.title

I receive the following error message

Abstract method 'java.lang.String getModuleName()' is not implemented but a
> method of the same name but different return type is defined: method
> 'java.lang.String getModuleName()'

However, when I execute the code in version 2.2.2, I receive the following
error message

Can't have an abstract method in a non-abstract class. The class 'Master'
> must be declared abstract or the method 'java.lang.String getModuleName()'
> must be implemented.

The *second* of the two error messages seems a bit clearer to me.

With respect to version 2.4.4, is this expected behavior or is this a
defect?