groovy-users mailing list archives

From "Winnebeck, Jason" <Jason.Winneb...@windstream.com>
Subject Groovy vs Java Performance (Was RE: [ANN] Groovy Weekly #68)
Date Mon, 11 May 2015 15:25:21 GMT
I didn’t get that when I saw it. It’s a pretty major statement to make without anything
behind it. The blog post references a video interview of Guillaume at devoxx, and I thought
I only heard him say that the static compilation mode just makes it “as fast as Java”
(which seems to be approximately true, except that the static mode I think still injects some
Groovy-specific code normally not found in Java). But, the weekly post is on Guillaume’s
blog so why would he mis-quote himself?

If it is true that Groovy is faster than Java anywhere I would be very interested in seeing
these results or benchmarks as well.

Diverging only slightly, I don’t see how Groovy can beat Java in a general sense given that
Groovy generates bytecode and Java and JVM are tuned to each other given Java is primary use
case of bytecode and JVM, and also Groovy even in static compile mode can still do more work
than Java (think like asType call for “casting”, and closures do have non-zero overhead
compared to loop). However, I can see some potential wins against Java in the area of AST
transformation where one could use AST transformation to do at compile time things one might
do at Java runtime via reflection or aspects/proxies (example, commons-lang’s HashCodeBuilder
using reflection versus EqualsAndHashCode AST), and for configuration which are compiled and
run rather than “interpreting” XML or similar files.

Jason

From: Owen Rubel [mailto:orubel@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2015 10:34 AM
To: users@groovy.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [ANN] Groovy Weekly #68

Groovy now faster than Java on Android???! I want to shout this from the four corners of the
earth! Are there benchmarks?

Owen Rubel
415-971-0976
orubel@gmail.com<mailto:orubel@gmail.com>

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 12:23 AM, Guillaume Laforge <glaforge@gmail.com<mailto:glaforge@gmail.com>>
wrote:
Hi all,

Another Tuesday, another Groovy Weekly edition!
http://glaforge.appspot.com/article/groovy-weekly-68

at Apache, as the user / dev ones at Codehaus will be decommissioned in about two weeks. Also
note the new address of JIRA and Git.

Keep on groovy-ing !!!

--
Guillaume Laforge