groovy-users mailing list archives

From Eric MacAdie <emaca...@gmail.com>
Subject Why aren't more people looking at Groovy?
Date Tue, 28 Apr 2015 03:06:18 GMT
I started this discussion on the old list, and someone said it should be
brought here.

Here is my original post:

*In addition to Groovy, I am also interested in Clojure. I found an
interesting article on the Clojure reddit: "Our curvy road to Clojure" at
http://inside.unbounce.com/product-dev/our-curvy-road-to-clojure/
<http://inside.unbounce.com/product-dev/our-curvy-road-to-clojure/>*

*The basic gist of the article is that they were a Java and Ruby shop, and
they realized that combination was not working as well as they hoped, so
they started looking for alternatives. They tried JRuby and Scala, before
settling on Clojure.*

*What I find odd is he never mentions looking at Groovy. I hear and read a
lot about shops that start out using Java and pick up Ruby, and some of
them eventually realize that the chocolate and the peanut butter do not mix
as well as they had hoped. So they look for something else. Yet I never
hear about any of them looking at Groovy. It seems like if you are using
Java for heavy lifting and Ruby for more dynamic/agile work that Groovy
would be a great fit.*
*Has anyone else noticed this? Any thoughts?*
I left a comment on the Unbounce blog asking if they looked at Groovy, and
here is the response:

*In their pre-Unbounce lives, several of us have had experience with
Groovy, from short embedded scripts to full blown Grails apps ; thus we
have a good grasp of the language.*

*There's no doubt that Groovy has some very strong points, including
closures, progressive typing, null-safe property navigation and tons of
smart extensions to the JDK. But the fact the language is mutable by
default and supports meta-programming (expando meta-class), has the
capacity to complicate things. If you've worked on a non-trivial Grails
application, I'm sure sure you know what I mean.*

*Moreover, from a pure perception standpoint, despite 12 years of
existence, Groovy seems to have stayed a niche language. Its tumultuous
past and uncertain future, doesn't help deciding to bet the house on it.
The addition of closures and streaming API to Java, the rise of Rx, makes a
massive shift towards Groovy less likely in the future.*

*Considering all of these, Clojure seemed a safer choice. There's a strong
language theory behind it. Its community is vibrant, opinionated and
pragmatic, a rare combination in our industry.*

*We'll see in the future if our bet was right or not. In the meantime, what
a great ride :)*

= Eric MacAdie