groovy-users mailing list archives

From Henrik Martin <hen...@netgate.net>
Subject Emulating method overloading with closures?
Date Wed, 15 Apr 2015 00:19:49 GMT
Hi. I have a Groovy method that is overloaded, and I'm trying to achieve
something similar with closures. The methods look something like this:

int foo(String args, boolean x, boolean y) { ... }
int foo(String args, boolean x, boolean y, boolean z) { ... }

The first method basically just forwards to the overloaded version,
passing a 'z' argument with a default value. Is there any way I can
convert these two methods to two closures in the same class in a similar
fashion as method overloading? The problem I run into seems to be that
closures are object instances, so I can't really have two closures with
the same name in the same class. Maybe using closures isn't appropriate
in this case? What would be a "Groovier way" of doing this? The reason I
tried the closure approach is the "method as an object instance"
paradigm fits pretty well with the particular project I'm working on.
But I'm sure there's a better way of doing this...
Thanks,

-H