groovy-dev mailing list archives

From MG <mg...@arscreat.com>
Subject Re: AST Transformations and joint compilation
Date Sun, 31 Mar 2019 14:56:21 GMT

On 31/03/2019 14:19, Jochen Theodorou wrote:
> On 31.03.19 00:57, Paul King wrote:
>> The other "interim" fix would be to try to have more AST xforms run
>> before stub generation. This would not be about trying to do stub
>> generation later but running (some) xforms during a first phase and then
>> rolling back phases and proceeding normally. This isn't a general
>> solution but could cover some more cases.
>
> My feeling is that this is going to be messy and error prone

I immediately had the same gut feeling: This sounds like it could be
confusing and frustrating for users, as well as a cumbersome to support
over time (because it can break easily).
The question then becomes: How could we achieve a more sweeping solution
that is less evolutionary in nature ? Maybe there are more companies
that would benefit from such an improvement, and would be willing to
participate in getting this done ?

Another related question that has been on my mind: If the Apache Groovy
community had already decided we wanted to get something done in
principle, and had decided on a way forward, would it be ok to help fund
this development on Patreon after the fact ?

Cheers,
mg