groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Mauro Molinari <mauro...@tiscali.it>
Subject Re: Binary compatibility fixed + Kotlin DSL
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2019 14:53:22 GMT
Just for curiosity... the Gradle team says that Kotlin DSL support was
introduced because (as you said) IDE support is then available for
editing build scripts.
But if this is the only (or at least the main...) advantage, why not
collaborating on investing into improving Groovy support in IDEs instead?

Otherwise said, why does almost anybody seem interested into improving
Groovy support in IDEs? This hurt Eclipse developers (which remained
without decent Groovy support for years - only recently the situation
improved a lot thanks to Eric Milles), this seems to hurt Gradle, this
will probably hurt future Groovy adoption...

Regarding this specific thing: I don't think it's a threat having Groovy
build scripts written in Kotlin, it's just a pity (and food for thought)
IMHO.

Just my own worthless opinion.

Mauro