groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Polish the generics type syntax for closure
Date Sun, 17 Feb 2019 17:56:13 GMT
On 16.02.19 19:57, MG wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
[...]
> I assume Jochen's suggestion is coming from JavaScript/Kotlin, where the
> type of a function (method) is given after the colon.

there are many more than just those.

> I think its readability is inferior to the C/C++/Java/... approach, and
> is only therefore suitable for often-not-typed languages such as
> JavaScript.

actually from several Pascal style languages like Modula2 or Ada. I
think the C(++)/Java works well with a function name in between, but
with just types and without the name it works better for me in the colon
style.

> Apart from it feeling alien to me in the Java/Groovy world,
> I fear next thing someone would suggest we introduce it into Groovy,
> which makes sense, "since we already use it in the Closure argument
> syntax"...

to be frank everything about generics is alien. It is just that people
got used to it

bye Jochen