groovy-dev mailing list archives

From MG <mg...@arscreat.com>
Subject Re: Groovy for Domino ?
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2019 01:16:52 GMT

On 24/02/2019 05:40, Paul King wrote:
> Looking forward to seeing where it goes and hopefully with plenty of
> Groovy :-)

> It was a little disappointing when IBM pulled the plug on Project Zero:
> https://searchmicroservices.techtarget.com/tip/Project-Zero-a-RESTful-new-beginning-for-IBM
> That could have been a Domino replacement if steered in the right
> direction.

I am not sure that would not have given up too many of the things that
make the platform powerful and unique (and having to use Websphere was
always going to be a big problem) - but we will never know. Alas IBM has
made so many half hearted attempts to modernize Domino over the years
(basing the Notes client on the Eclipse platform - without ever really
enticing people and giving them enough tool support to make them
consider developing Domino-Eclipse-apps; or the "JSF 1.5 + GUI editor"
XPages technology, that, in theory, would also have allowed RDBMS
development interwoven with the Domino document centric DB), which all
ended half baked. It always felt as if IBM never really knew what to do
with its long running product.

I hope & expect HCL to do a much better job at this - hopefully with a
lot of Groovy :-)

Cheers,
mg