groovy-dev mailing list archives

From MG <mg...@arscreat.com>
Subject Re: Groovy for Domino ?
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2019 01:01:00 GMT
Hi Daniel,

this is all extremely hypothetical (and a bit off-topic) of course - but
I would not remove any of the existing languages, just add Groovy.
People could still interoperate with Java (of course) and execute agents
written in LotusScript. But I do not think many people would actually
stay with LotusScript once they have seen how much more
pleasant/powerful using Groovy is (e.g. try-catch-finally instead of "on
error goto/gosub" (*shudder* ;-) )). Formula language one could keep - I
just wanted to point out that one could very well use Groovy here
also... :-)

The platform has not been treated well in the past decade, but it would
not need much to make it attractive (given tha e.g. NoSQL,
fullt-text-search, replication, security, multi-user, RAD and all are
already in place) again, and Groovy would in theory be very well suited
to part of that. It would be good if a sizeable alternative to MS
continued to thrive imho - choice is good...

Cheers,
mg