groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Sun <realblue...@hotmail.com>
Subject [PROPOSAL]Provide an option to generate stubs in in-momery file system for better compiling performance
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2019 08:44:07 GMT
Hi all,

[Background]
       Groovy's joint compiler will generate a lot of stubs for groovy
source files, many of the stubs are useless and written to disk and clean
later. When project contains a lot of groovy source files, the performance
of compiling is not good.

[Proposal]
      I propose to add an option(e.g. `groovy.generate.stubs.in.memory`) to
generate stubs in in-momery file system[1]. We can get the generated stub
files from the the in-memory file system with `StandardJavaFileManager`[2] .
Here is the `JavaCompiler` usage[3].

[Benefits]
     We can avoid writing lots of stub files to disk and subsequent
cleaning, in addition, reading stub files from memory will be much faster
than reading from disk.

      Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun