groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Daniil Ovchinnikov <daniil.ovchinni...@jetbrains.com>
Subject Re: About the enhanced version of `Properties`, i.e. `GProperties`
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2018 10:32:00 GMT
>  we can not replace Properties in existing groovy
> code easily because we have to change the file extension

Exactly this.

Also please consider tooling. We already have support for .properties in IntelliJ based on
file extension.
If .properties would be used for GProperties, then user should go in settings and change mapping
for all .properties files to be handled as GProperties.
And what if some file is actually Properties one and another is GProperties? It’s just confusing.

Imagine you create a new language (say Groovy) which is syntax-compatible with Java and you
use its default extension (.java), because why not, otherwise you should change file extension
of your existing .java files.

—

Daniil Ovchinnikov
JetBrains