groovy-dev mailing list archives

From MG <mg...@arscreat.com>
Subject Re: About simplifying the switch for runtime groovydoc
Date Sun, 21 Oct 2018 14:22:41 GMT
Here is the problem I see with this approach (which I have seen multiple
times now since I joined the ML):

 1. The (oftentimes imho plausible) argument for introducing something
    new in Groovy is, that current support is too cumbersome (as with
    Daniel's proposal).
 2. The suggestion then is, to stick with the current variety, and see
    how much uptake it gets in the community.
 3. But evidently there is a contradictio in se here: If one agrees that
    current support in Groovy is too cumbersome, uptake will naturally
    not be high, which is then taken to imply that Groovy users don't
    want that feature at all (hence there is no need to make its use
    less cumbersome). Case closed.

So I feel one should either state that one does not agree with the
assumption of usability of a feature being bad, or bring another
argument. Otherwise over time it feels just like a polemic trick to "let
people down easy"...

I understand that introducing new syntax or features to a language has
to be carefully considered, as to not back oneself into a corner etc.
But this proposal looks quite harmless to me, as well as being
syntactically sound. Which I might be mistaken about, of course - but
then one sentence should suffice to point out problematic areas :-)

Cheers,
mg